Improve the lives of our nation’s service members, veterans, and their families by advancing excellence in psychological health care, readiness, and prevention of psychological health disorders.
Be the trusted source and partner to facilitate evidence-based research and clinical practices across the continuum of care to enhance the psychological health of the military community.
PHCoE is uniquely positioned to collaborate across the Defense Department, Department of Veterans Affairs and other agencies to provide leadership and expertise, inform policy and drive improvements in psychological health outcomes. The center maintains five core strategic priorities: support the services and combatant commands; improve care quality; increase access, reduce barriers, and encourage optimal use of psychological health resources; advance the science of psychological health; and foster organizational development.
Major areas of focus:
- Develop and implement evidence-based treatments and clinical support tools to improve psychological health specialty care
- Promote a culture of support for psychological health by improving psychological health literacy, developing patient empowerment tools, encouraging help-seeking behavior and reducing barriers to care
- Conduct an integrated portfolio of psychological health research to improve the system of care including identifying gaps and prioritizing needs with a goal of translating research into clinical practice and improving patient outcomes
- Integrate behavioral health into primary care to improve early identification and treatment of psychological health concerns
- Provide program monitoring and evaluation services, and develop metrics and measures to inform performance, outcomes and health care utilization