Depleted Uranium (DU)
Depleted uranium munitions were used by all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces during the 1991 Gulf War. U.S. personnel were
generally only exposed to depleted uranium through fratricide (friendly fire) incidents, clean up of combat vehicles destroyed
by depleted uranium munitions, or by exposure to dusts or aerosols generated by accidents involving ordinance (e.g., Camp Doha
For additional information on depleted uranium and military policies for the management of potential exposure to depleted
uranium, see our DHCC Depleted Uranium Information Page.
The following references contain additional information on depleted uranium and the Gulf War:
- Measures of Genotoxicity in Gulf War I Veterans Exposed to Depleted Uranium Abstract, Environ Mol Mutagen. 4 Jul 11
- Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Part A VOL 72 NO 1, Jan 2009, (Abstract) Surveillance Results of Depleted Uranium-Exposed Gulf War I Veterans: Sixteen Years of Follow-Up, McDiarmid et al.
- Health Physics VOL 93 NO 1, July 2007, Health Surveillance of Gulf War I Veterans Exposed to Depleted Uranium: Updating the Cohort, McDiarmid et al
- Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, Depleted Uranium Exposure and Health Effects in Gulf War Veterans, Squibb and McDiarmid, 24 Mar 06
- Int Arch Occup Environ Health (2005), Biological Monitoring and Surveillance Results of Gulf War I Veterans Exposed to Depleted Uranium, McDiarmid et al
- Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Part A VOL 67 NO 4, Jun 2004, Health Effects of Depleted Uranium on Exposed Gulf War Veterans: A 10-Year Follow-Up, McDiarmid et al.
- DeployMed ResearchLINK, Medical Research Publications Operations Desert Shield/Desert Storm, Environmental & Occupational Health \ Depleted Uranium
- OSAGWI (Office of the Special Assistant to The Deputy Secretary of Defense for Gulf War Illnesses) Environmental Exposure Report Depleted Uranium in the Gulf (II) 13 Dec 00
- CHPPM Health Risk Assessment Consultation - Depleted Uranium, In Suppoprt of OSAGWI Environmental Exposure Report "Depleted Uranium in the Gulf", 15 Sep 00
- Institute of Medicine, Gulf War and Health Volume 1: Depleted Uranium, Sarin, Pyridostigmine Bromide, and Vaccines, 2000
- RAND Corporation, Review of Scientific Literature As It Pertains to Gulf War Illnesses, Volume 7, Depleted Uranium, 1999