The Post-Deployment Health Reassessment (PDHRA) Program is a program mandated by the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs in
March 2005 and designed to identify and address health concerns, with
specific emphasis on mental health, that have emerged over time since deployment. The PDHRA provides for a second health assessment using DD Form 2900 and should be completed 90 to 180 days after return to home station from deployment.
The PDHRA applies to all servicemembers as well as DoD civilian employees and DoD contractor personnel (consistent with DoD and Service-specific guidance) who have returned from operational deployment in accordance with DoDI 6490.03, Deployment Health. A DD Form 2900 will be administered to each redeployed individual that required completion of a post-deployment health assessment.
The PDHRA Program uses DD Form 2900
(Post-Deployment Health Reassessment) to document health concerns, assessment and referrals.
The current version of the DD Form 2900, which is dated September 2012, replaces the previous versions dated January 2008 and June 2005. The form must be completed in an electronic or web-enabled form following service-specific directives
and using one of the following service-specific data systems: Army MEDPROS
(Medical Protection System); Air Force PIMR
(Preventive Health Assessment and Individual Medical Readiness) or AFCITA (Air Force Complete Immunization Tracking System) for AFRC; or Navy
EDHA (Electronic Deployment Health Assessment). Servicemembers will be contacted by their unit leaders and given information on how to access the electronic or web-enabled version when they fall within the timeframe for completing the
PDHRA process. After servicemembers have completed the form, a healthcare provider will discuss with the servicemember any health concerns which they have indicated
on the form and will make referrals to appropriate healthcare or community-based services if further evaluation or treatment is needed. The data will be sent electronically
through the service-specific data system to the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center (AFHSC)
for inclusion in the Defense Medical Surveillance System. The completed DD 2900 will be printed and placed in the individual's permanent medical record.
For list of Service-Specific PDHRA Points of Contact (POCs), click here
Table of Contents. The following information has been assembled to provide guidance and assistance for implementing the PDHRA Program.
Guidance for DD Form 2900
- DD Form 2900 (Post-Deployment Health Reassessment), Sep 12
A PDF version of the form is provided here as a preview of the questions that are included on the form.
- Service members can only complete and submit the form by accessing and using their service-specific electronic data system. Information on how to complete the form is in each military service's PDHRA implementation policy included in the PDHRA Policies and Directives section below.
- Servicemembers will be contacted by their unit leaders and given information on how to access the electronic or web-enabled version when they fall within the timeframe for completing the PDHRA process. Links to the service-specific sites where the Deployment Health Assessment forms can be completed are:
- Army – AKO Web site under Self Service under My Medical on the My Medical Readiness Page
- Air Force – PDHRA Web Page. (Before accessing the PDHRA site, members first must enable TLS 1.0 on their Internet browsers.)
- Navy/Marines - NMCPHC Electronic Health Assessment (EDHA) Page
- DD Form 2900 Primer, Sep 12
- DoD Force Health Protection and Readiness, Healthcare Providers PDHRA Page
PDHRA Policies and Directives
- ASD(HA) Memorandum, Implementation of Revised Department of Defense Forms 2795, 2796, and 2900, 26 Jul 12
- DoDI 6490.03, Deployment Health, 11 Aug 06, Certified Current as of 30 Sep 11 (Implements policies and prescribes procedures for deployment health activities, including deployment health assessments, for Joint and Service-specific deployments.)
Under Secretary of Defense Letter, Mental Health Assessments for Members of the Armed Forces Deployed in Connection with a Contingency Operation, 21 Mar 11 (Response to Congressional Committees on implementation of PL 110-84 Section 708. Includes Air Force, Army and Navy/Marine Corps implementation plans.)
- ASD(HA) Memorandum, Mental Health Assessments for Members of the Armed Forces Deployed in Connection with a Contingency Operation, 19 Jul 10
- CENTCOM Reg 220-1, Deployment Health Surveillance and Force Health Protection, 24 Feb 10 (Implements policies and prescribes procedures for deployment health activities for Joint and Service-specific deployments and exercises.)
- ASD(HA) Memorandum, Implementation of Revised DD Forms 2796 and 2900, 24 Mar 08
- ASD(HA) Memorandum, Traumatic Brain Injury Questions for the Post-Deployment Health Assessment, 8 Mar 07
- DoDI 6200.05 Force Health Protection (FHP) Quality Assurance (QA) Program, 16 Feb 07
- Post-Deployment Health Reassessment (PDHRA) Background Paper, 9 Jan 06
- HA Policy 05-011, Post-Deployment Health Reassessment, 10 Mar 05
- AFGM 48-04, Implementation of Revised Department of Defense Forms 2795, 2796, and 2900 - Deployment Health Assessments, 7 Nov 12 (Replaces guidance in AFI48-120_AFGM3, 8 Mar 11)
- Deployment Health Assessments Program Guide, Air Force, 7 Nov 12 (Located on AFMS Knowledge Exchange) (This guide provides guidance on implementation of the Deployment Health Assessment Program for Air Force healthcare and unit personnel.)
- Air Force Instruction (AFI) 10-403, Deployment Planning and Execution, 20 Sep 12
- AF PDHRA Application User’s Guide, Mar 08
- HQ USAF/SG3 Memorandum, Implementation of Revised DD Forms 2796 and 2900, 7 Mar 08
- Instructions for Accessing the UDM PDHRA Tutorial
- UDM PDHRA Tutorial Zip File
- PDHRA Web Application Instructions for Non-Air Force Providers
- AF PDHRA PRP Data Entry Computer Validation Instructions, Apr 06
- Hdqs, USAF Memorandum, Post-Deployment Health Reassessment (PDHRA Procedures for Active Duty Airmen, 8 Dec 05
- AFRC Memorandum, Changes to the Post Deployment Health Assessment, 8 Sep 05
- AFMS Knowledge Exchange (Kx) Web Pages
- Air National Guard
- NAVADMIN 002/13, Assistance with Medical Referral Process for Returning Individual Augmentees (IA) and Reserve Unit Sailors, 3 Jan 13
- BUMEDINST 1300.4, BUMED-M9, ReDeployment Screening Procedures for Individuals Returning from Overseas Contingency Operations Support Assignments, 23 Oct 12
- BUMEDNOTE 6100, Mental Health Assessment for Members of the Armed Forces Deployed in Support of Contingency Operations, 5 Apr 12
- NAVADMIN 007/12, Post Deployment Health Re-Assessment Accountability, 4 Jan 12
- NAVADMIN 297/09, Deployment Health Reassessment Update, 13 Oct 09
- OPNAVINST 6100.3, Deployment Health Assessment (DHA) Process, 12 Jan 09
- NAVADMIN 207-08, Deployment Health Assessment Policy and Process, 27 Jul 08
- NAVMED Policy 06-004, Implementation of the Post Deployment Health Reassessment Policy in Navy Medicine Facilities, 4 Apr 06
- NMCPHC Electronic Deployment Health Assessment(EDHA) Page
- Navy Reserve
Additional Screening Forms and Measures
- Forms and Measures Page. (Contains forms used for documenting deployment-related health evaluations and standard health assessment tools that can be used for evaluating patients with deployment-related concerns)
Information on Deployment Exposures for PDHA/PDHRA
- Deployment-Related Exposures (DHCC Web Page created to provide information and assistance to healthcare providers and Service members regarding potential deployment-related exposures. It contains links to fact sheets, articles, Web pages and training materials. The information includes materials targeted to the deployment-related exposures listed on the DD Form 2796, Post-Deployment Health Assessment (PDHA) (Sep 07) (Questions 9a, 16, 19 and 20) and the DD Form 2900, Post-Deployment Health Reassessment (PDHRA) (Sep 07) (Questions 9a and10a).
Service-Specific Fact Sheets/Material